Saturday 22 August 2015

8th Cancer Care run in Nathon, race day

After a very early wake up call, it was time to gather the family and head off for the 8th Cancer Care run in Nathon, race day time! This was the 5th time I participated in this event and by now I know that they always run out of T-shirts, so I made a phone reservation and sure enough, the ordered tees where at the pick up area. Nice one!

8th Cancer Care run in Nathon, race day

Before the start of the race

This year I didn't see a lot of promotion being made for the race and it kind of showed at the gathering point, there seemed to be less people compared to other years. From the three race distances on offer, 3-, 5- and 10km, I choose the 10km distance and there were about 35-40 participants in this category.

8th Cancer Care run in Nathon, race day

The race map

Registration was scheduled for 6am and that worked fine, but as with so many small running events around Thailand, the scheduled start of the race was missed by a full 20 minutes. If you want to start a race, it's rather annoying that you always have to wait around. However, by 7.20am we were on our way and it was busy at the start, with the 5 and 10km runners starting in the same group.

8th Cancer Care run in Nathon, race day

The top 3 finishers of the ladies 10km race

It was a lot nice to race after the 5km had reached their turn around point and the field thinned out drastically! The road was well marked and there were plenty of water stations. Under a cloudy sky, we had very agreeable running temperatures.

8th Cancer Care run in Nathon, race day

The lucky draw and our son Dennis won a meal for two at the Four Seasons Resort!

My overall time was 50'08 minutes, which yielded an average pace of 5'01 per km and the total distance according to my running watch was 9.96km. A good time that I'm happy with, considering that I just took a 6 week injury due break and started two weeks ago with training. Earlier this year I had better race times, but training is on track and I hope to be able to beat my times I ran earlier this year.
I also stopped for times during the race to pick up some coins, in total I found 9.-THB on the race route, which probably makes me the highest earner during today's race, but it's still not enough to make a career out of my running!

The next running event on Koh Samui will be the Kamalaya Charity run, Sunday 13th September at the Namuang Stadium! See you there!

Do 'like' my Koh Samui blog Facebook page and don't forget to use my Camille's Samui hotel recommendation blog and my Camille's Thailand hotel recommendation blog for all your hotel bookings on Koh Samui and around Thailand. By doing so, you will support my blog. Thanks folks! 

Camille

No comments: