Tuesday 9 December 2014

Chaweng beach in 1983

Over the weekend I spotted a few pictures of Chaweng back in 1983. I'm a sucker for these kind of pictures, so if you have any old pictures of Samui that you would like to share, please send them to me and I will post them here and credit your pictures to you.

Chaweng beach in front of the Centara plot

In front of the current Centara Grand Beach resort. Picture by John Stall (aka Cap'n Squall) 

Back to these pictures though, I received allowance to use and post the pictures here, much to my delight, since I think these pictures are awesome and show why Koh Samui became so popular.

Chaweng beach, the Centara plot

The plot of land where Centara Beach resort is now located. Picture by John Stall (aka Cap'n Squall)

The pictures taken near the future Centara resort are also awesome, in my opinion, they have a personal touch for me as well, since this is another resort I used to work at during that same time frame between 2000 and 2009. Very good memories of this place.
I recently met the former manager, who had this function for many years, he just moved to Laos for a new position and another friend, Joe, is still working here as a manager, and he sometimes supplies pictures for my blog.

Chaweng beach, bridge over klong at First Bungalow

Bridge over klong at First Bungalow Resort. Picture by John Stall (aka Cap'n Squall)

As you can see, Chaweng Beach changed a lot in 31 years, but that in itself is no surprise. Every changes during that time frame, my home town , your home town, pretty much everywhere. It does show however how much Chaweng beach has changed, and that is a  lot!

Chaweng beach, looking North

A view to the North. Picture by John Stall (aka Cap'n Squall)

My wife is born and raised on Samui and it's great to hear stories back from these days. We live in Plai Laem and that's where she has been raised and lived. When she wanted or needed to visit Chaweng, it meant a day's walk along the beach, around Choengmon, stay overnight with relatives and at the earliest, go back home the next day.

Chaweng beach, Malibu

My fave, taken from where Malibu Beach resort, where I used to work for a dive center on the beach for a few years between 2000 and 2009, with a view towards where now the Ark Bar is. Picture by John Stall (aka Cap'n Squall)

There are a few more pictures left, so keep your eyes glued here, over time I will post some more pictures of 'old Samui' pictures.
Enjoy!

Don't forget to use my Camille's Samui hotel recommendation blog and my Camille's Thailand hotel recommendation blog for all your hotel bookings on Koh Samui and around Thailand. By doing so, you will support my blog. Thanks folks! 

Camille

4 comments:

Bernd said...

brilliant - I love pix of old style samui, too

Camille said...

Me too Bernd, and it seems a lot of other people as well, since this proofs to be a very popular post with many views.

Bernd said...

how can I send u a few of my pix from the 90s?

Camille said...

Hi Bernd,

You can use my email address

camille@idcthailand.net